A NEW START AT A CHURCH NAMED FOR BEGINNINGS
we had tried playing it safe…it didn’t work.
So instead we have turned to being who we really are and affirming the sometimes challenging aspects of what we hold most dear.
Key to this Genesis’ re-commitment is a renewed sense of local mission and hands-on work in our community. We are determined to minister not just far and away (though we often do that!) but also to connect to projects here in Littleton to help train us in the Way of Christ. We are moving away from a consumer mentality into a more lively discipleship one. Genesis is a church about serving others.
In addition we have had many conversations about what makes us unique? and what ministry needs around us are we especially suited to? We have found some compelling answers. They are our new gyroscope, core values, ministry flavors that we realize we want to let everyone know about. And they fall into these categories:
* Activist– our worship experience is especially shared and interactive. From Sunday leadership to sermons to prayers to “offerings” we think sharing the conversation works well. Visitors might be shocked at first, but then, we think, delighted. It isn’t that we don’t like listening to Pastor Don (!) it’s just that the morning is so much more engaging when everyone takes part.
* Women Focused – we just can’t imagine not sharing every level of participation and leadership with this 55% of the community. Genesis owes a great deal to the women who help lead us and we want the neighbors to know: “In Christ there is no male or female” the apostle Paul tells us. Yup.
* Science & Scripture – “All truth comes from God” is what our grampa Jean Calvin says. Far from “checking your brain at the door” we love the stimulating challenge of teaching and preaching that leads us deeper into everything that is: around us and within. A billion years ago and next week too.
* Open & Affirming – God is obviously at work calling many who are gay or lesbian into the ordained ministry. We want to call them for our next potluck, mission trip, and book group. The PCUSA recognizes the ordination of gays and lesbians and we too rejoice in the diversity of God’s children. Everyone is welcome at Genesis.
* God Elsewhere Too – Hard to say how God is One, but it’s true. It is also true that God is doing His/Her saving thing through numerous Other Traditions. If you have an inkling that Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, Hinduism etc just can’t be all missing the boat – you should come sail with us for a while.